Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lenten Season

Probably a few weeks late on this, but I have been reading so much of people's never ending list of things they are willing to give up for lent. From Facebook to meat, smoking, drinking, fast food, etc. That is 40 days of your lives every year, but the question is, are you really sincere in giving up these things? You can give up one thing and be sincere and that is good enough. I am not saying I know God personally, but from what I have learned, God only listens to human beings that are sincere. And, I find this year's Lenten season very sad because I hear people whining about wanting it to end when it has only been about two weeks. Last time I checked Jesus was not worked up about not eating a single crumb of food.


People portray lent the wrong way. Catholics sacrifice their earthly desires for 40 days just because they are part of that religion, but not because they truly are thankful of those 40 days Jesus sacrificed to save us from our sins. It is easy to give-up what you desire the most for a month and a half because after those 40 days you know you can do it again or have it back again. But Lent is not only about giving up our earthly desires, but more of giving, making personal sacrifices, and sharing what we have with others who fall short on what they currently posses. Help an older woman cross the street. Or buy a homeless person his lunch, instead of buying unnecessary things. This is a time to internalize the importance of true sacrifice. God sacrificed His only Son to save us from our sins. Jesus sacrificed His life for our sins to be forgiven. It had nothing to do with TV, beer or chocolate. Lent is not so much about what we give up, but it is more about what we are willing to give.


Just elaborating.

No comments:

Post a Comment